[time-nuts] OT: Eagle PC CAD now Autodesk, $500/year

Tom Curlee tcurlee at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 00:32:41 EST 2017

KiCad is an open source pcd cad package that looks interesting.  Has some microwave/RF features, 8 layers (I think),  both schematic capture and layout.  Just started to look at it.  Doesn't have the libraries that Eagle does, but you can create your own.  Worth looking at.
Considering how Autodesk works (pay $$$$), I'm surprised that their Fusion 360 3D cad package is free for hobbyists.  I use Solidworks at work, but definitely not going to pay $6K for home use.  Just starting to learn Fusion 360, and, at least at my level, it seems to have all the functionality of Solidworks.  My only beef is that it's cloud based, but it will work off line for a few weeks before needing to call home.  My fear is that some time in the future Autodesk will either discontinue the program or start wanting $$.  Again, well worth looking at.
Tom, WB6UZZ