[time-nuts] OT: Eagle PC CAD now Autodesk, $500/year

Francesco Messineo francesco.messineo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 03:24:22 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 4:52 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist
<richard at karlquist.com> wrote:
> Off topic, but probably a lot of disgrunted Eagle users on this list.
> Its official, you will now have to pay $500 per year for a
> professional license from Autodesk.  The spin meistering of the
> announcement would make George Orwell proud.  I don't see any way they
> can keep me from just using the license I currently own, at least
> on the OS's it supports.  (Parenthetically, like many users, I
> am also digging in my heels in terms of staying at Windows 7).
>
> Still, the question arises:  are there any affordable alternatives?

I'm using KiCad since a few years. There're conversion tools from the
eagle libraries to obtain
both schematic libs and footprints to be used on KiCad. There're also
quite a few native libraries. Overall I would never look for anything
else. But I'm not a professional user, so my time is kind of free.

73
Frank IZ8DWF