[time-nuts] purpose of time of day display units

Ruslan Nabioullin rnabioullin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 01:31:05 EST 2017

Hi, looking at pictures of various time metrology equipment setups for
best practices and inspiration, I have commonly seen time of day display
unit(s) installed in racks containing processing or time transfer
equipment, e.g.,
http://www.xyht.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Powers_Master_Clock.jpg.
All that these units do is merely display the time of day and sometimes
the date, typically by means of seven segment LED displays, of the time
code inputted to them (typically IRIG-B, I'm guessing).  Any ideas why
such a unit is necessary when one can simply look at the time displayed
by timing receivers and time code generators (and even some standards),
and the interface of some fusor, defined in this context as a system
which performs timing data fusion (by implementing a paper clock or a
more primitive algorithm) and timekeeping, either by means of a direct
shell, or via something like NTP?

Thanks in advance,
Ruslan