[time-nuts] purpose of time of day display units

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 22 19:26:49 EST 2017

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> 3) It's a crude visual check - your eye/brain is pretty good at catching  a
> change in the pattern of blinky lights.  IN this situation, you'd  expect
> all the displays to change simultaneously.

Is there a term similar to "eye candy" for geeks?

Many years ago, I designed network gear.  That was back when a controller was
a board full of small and medium sized chips rather than a single big chip.
I always put a few LEDs on the board wired up where the microcode could get
at them.  Most of the time they were just eye candy.  But occasionally I
would borrow one and hack the microcode so a LED would be interesting on a
scope.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.