[time-nuts] Autodesk Eagle -- maybe they're listening

Jim Pruitt jpruitt67 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 20:28:28 EST 2017

Mike,  you are correct about Autodesk products being free to
students/faculty/and staff with proof of status.  A college/university
email would do that.

I retired from a medium size state university here in late spring.  My job
there was to purchase, set up, install/administer software and hardware,
and maintain some application servers including ones for Autodesk,
Solidworks, Matlab, and Oracle Primavera.  I had 2 Autocad labs consisting
of about 25 stations each.  We used Autodesk products because they were
free to universities as long as it was in a teaching capacity.  For that
reason facilities management could not use the educational version.
Autodesk and the cad labs took up over 75% of my time so 2 labs kept me
busy and I had 10 other pc labs to maintain on campus.  I assume that
because the product was free to us we were on the bottom of the food chain
as I ran into a bug with their product that cause our students to have to
sit for 20 minutes before the license server would issue them a license.
Keep in mind that classes only lasted 50 minutes!  Even though I hired a
third party VAR (value added reseller) for cad tech support.  Education was
all on their own so even my VAR could not help me resolve the problem.
They did manage to give me one name at Autodesk that I could contact and
push them from inside.  If it had not been for that I feel they never would
have taken the problem seriously.  Even at that it took 2 months to get it
figured out.  They did not fix the problem til the following year when a
new version was released.  Prior to the product being offered free I could
contact Autodesk and get support when needed.

In short,  Autodesk products are free to students and staff/faculty when
used for educational purposes.  I had to resort to forums and other avenues
to get tech support.

Good luck.

Jim Pruitt