[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Monitor Kit by KO4BB

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 15:16:48 EDT 2017

The Raspberry Pi idea is good because for your $100 it can do a few other
tasks at the same time.

It can run LH but also maybe she other services like  NTP,  a small web
server and also a WiFi based backup server that backs up any notebook
computers you have (it such a hassle to plug in an external drive to a
notebook that few people do it.   So I have mine do an hourly backup over
WiFi.)

I have a Pi3 on my desk right now and yes, it is more than powerful enough
and would be under utilized even with a half dozen light weight servers
running.

So a $100 t-bolt monitor is rather expensive but if you can get four of
five other functions at the same price, maybe worth it.

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The K04BB device is a great little relatively inexpensive and compact
> Thunderbolt monitor.
>
> Another option is to use a Raspberry PI and the 7" color LCD touchscreen
> along with the latest Lady Heather code.   I've added touchscreen support
> and some optimizations to the screen code for better display on smaller
> screens.  The combo makes for a very nice package that shows pretty much
> everything and lets you control the unit from the touchscreen.   The PI +
> touchscreen does cost around $100 though.  I've seen some really nice
> builds, such as Willis Hendly's,  with the Tbolt, power supply, and
> PI/touchscreen (I think he actually uses a Beaglebone) mounted in a box.
> Perhaps he will do a post showing his implementation.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California