[time-nuts] J06 HP-59992A time interval calibrator for HP-531xxcounters

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jul 8 19:18:49 EDT 2017

Hi

Good means whatever the 5313x needs for calibration. If that is four signals that are
crossing zero within < 10 ps of the “correct time” then that is the definition of good in this case.

Rise time delay, fall time delay are rarely the same in logic gates. Propagation inside a chip to
point A may well be different by nanoseconds relative to the propagation to a very similar
point B. All of that would mess up a signal that *might* need to be 50/50 to within 10 ps  or
a second signal that must cross zero half way in-between (also to within 10 ps).

If you want to have a lot of fun with this, pull out the timing analysis tool for your favorite
FPGA and start fiddling around.

Bob