[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt no longer determines the correct date

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Jul 30 10:18:34 EDT 2017

Hi Mike,

> I was running Tboltmon as the rollover occurred and did not see any phase shift.

I'm pleased you saw no phase shift at all. Did you happen to have a TBoltmon log running?

> Maybe your phase offset was due to your Tbolt being in survey mode and its apparent position shifted .

The particular TBolt I used for the screen capture was powered up too soon before GPS midnight for the survey to complete. So I just entered the coordinates manually before the photo-op.

But if you look at the two images again, the phase shift may be due to a change in DAC value. My theory at this point is that the DAC voltage calculation includes at least one component based on slope; and slope implies elapsed time interval. A calculation like that would be upset if the underlying time frame changes by -1023 weeks instead of +1 week, or -7168 days instead of +1 day, etc. Or maybe the TBolt reset on rollover and went back to a previously saved DAC value. I don't know. But for those of you making your own GPSDO, keep subtle details like this in mind.

The duration of the recovery depends on the time constant. Notice that Mark uses a 500 s time constant and I used the default (100 s), so my TBolt recovered much quicker than his. I'll have more info as I sift through several TBolt's.

/tvb