[time-nuts] uC ADC resolution (was: Poor man's oven)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 7 14:56:07 EDT 2017

albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> Assume me goal is to regulate temperer of an aluminum block to within 0.1C,
> how good must my ADC be?   Is an effective 6-bits good enough?

I don't think you are asking the right question.

You can build a control loop with a 1 bit ADC.  Think of your typical
household thermostat.

I'm not sure what the right question is.  I expect it will involve the
sampling rate, the response time of the system, and the nature of the heater.

You also have to consider stability.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.