[time-nuts] uC ADC resolution (was: Poor man's oven)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jun 7 15:51:32 EDT 2017

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 16:43:30 -0700
Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> > . Heck, the STM32F4xx have so much internal noise that the ENOB
> > of their ADC is below 6bit... so low that they even had to write an
> > appnote on how to do averaging to get back to the 12 bits the ADC is
> > spec'ed for. (but don't mention that to an ST sales person, they will
> > hate your guts afterwards).
> >

> Can you actually get back all of those bits?

No

>  How many samples would you need?

White Gaussian noise goes down with the square root of the number of samples.
1/f^a noise does not average out the same way.

> My current use case for the STM32 ADC is to track battery voltage
> and maybe 6 bits is enough but if I can get to 12 with a software-only fix
> I'll take it.  Batteries volts charge slowly so I'd have time to take many
> samples.   It's a rather mundane application.  Controlling a battery
> powered motor and I can't let theLiPo battery dichange below a limit so I'm
> sampling voltage at 1Hz.   Got a link to or the name of the app note?

Keep in mind that you will need a good voltage reference as well
to reach anything close to 12bit. Your LDO is _not_ a good voltage
reference (depending on type and load/source conditions they vary
eaily by 1-2%... not to talk about their noise)

			Attila Kinali
--
You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to