[time-nuts] backfill

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jun 10 09:20:05 EDT 2017

Hi

You do work pretty hard to turn the metal can into a getter. The other issue is that
the adsorption and desorption rates are quite different. Once you get the “stuff”
into a layer state, it takes a long time to get it back out. Much better to not have it
there in the first place.

If the precision crystal is being used in a TCXO, water has the nasty tendency to
freeze. When it does, you get a frequency bump. That’s a difficult thing to compensate
for. Does it occur at < -65 (you hope) or at -45 (you hope not) ? The practical approach
is to get rid of as much of it as you possibly can.

Bob