[time-nuts] Powering up a long inactive 5061A

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 11:37:05 EDT 2017

Do not use a variac to bring the unit up. Very bad idea.
You should read the operations documents they say what to do for a unit
thats been off.
Essentially the tube needs to be pumped down electronically. The beam
current will peg and until it drops down on the meter to about 20 or 30 the
rest of the system does not turn on.
Pump down can take weeks and longer or never if its been off a long time as
in years. There are even ways to attempt to recover the tube involving nice
3000 volt supplies.

Last comment for me at least option 004 tubes are bad luck. Thats because
they run hotter then a normal tube. Usually there are no C's left in an 004.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL