[time-nuts] GPS discipline oscillator vs phase lock

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 18 13:36:00 EDT 2017

On 6/18/17 7:10 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 06:29:02 -0700
> jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, at JPL we regularly lock two crystal oscillators together that are
>> over a billion km apart with added Allan deviation of less than 1E-15 at
>> 1000 seconds with a radio link at 7.15 GHz.  It's how we measure the
>> distance and velocity to spacecraft (a few cm in range and mm/s in
>> velocity) and from that figure out the gravitational fields (among other
>> things)
>
> This sounds interesing. What do I have to google for to learn more?

It's just how we do radio science/ranging - you transmit a spectrally
pure signal from earth (typically oscillator locked to a maser), at the
spacecraft you have a very narrow band PLL (traditionally a VCXO) that
locks to the received signal, and you generate the downlink signal from
that same oscillator, transmit it back to earth, and compare.

The transmitted signal is precisely in a specified ratio with the
received signal (880/749 for X-band 7.15 GHz from earth, 8.4 GHz coming
back). For Ka-band, the earth signal goes up at 34 GHz, and comes back
at 32 GHz

A typical spec is that the transponder introduce no more than 4E-16 ADEV
at 1000 sec.

https://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/ has links to a whole bunch of useful