[time-nuts] GPScon running on Raspberry Pi 3b

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 01:02:46 EDT 2017

I've got a Pi3 here on my desk.   I only see one UART that connects to GPIO
pins.   But it turns out if you actually need to use serial you use the USB
to serial dongles.  If you need four serial ports use four dongles.   That
is just the way the Pi3 is.

You can level the 3.3 volt serial port but then you are into a MAX chip and
some passives or maybe just a couple transistors but the =USB-Serial dingle
is easier then level shifting.

If you want a Pi-like device that is better for real-time embedded use look
at the Beagle Bone Black.  But it was limited CPU and RAM compared to Pi3
but better IO.

If you are building a NTP server, look at the Pi Zero version 1.3.  $5 each.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California