[time-nuts] Power connectors continued

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 04:08:39 EDT 2017

This is what we use with good results
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 6/24/2017 12:03:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
csteinmetz at yandex.com writes:

Someone  previously mentioned "aviation" style connectors (which many
will  recognize as mobile microphone connectors) (see graphic below).  I
switched to these for power and other connections long ago, and have
been extremely happy with them.

One nice thing about them (IMO) is  that all chassis connectors are male,
and all cable connectors are female  (unless you use a male in-line
connector to make an extension  cable).  This means that a dangling cable
will never have rudely  exposed contacts, and if you are really worried
you can use vinyl caps to  make sure.  Similarly, the pins on the male
chassis connectors are  well recessed so it isn't easy to short them, but
if you want to be sure  you can get screw-on caps (see below).

The contacts have substantial  tension when mating/mated, plus secure
threaded locking rings.  They  will definitely not work loose.  They will
handle at least 5A per  pin, and I've seen published ratings of 10A.
They have good strain  reliefs, too.

They are available in a wide range of pin counts, so it  is easy to make
sure cables are not cross-compatible.

One really  nice feature is the availability of right-angle in-line
connectors, to  minimize the space needed behind equipment (this can be
problematic with  some other connector series).  Use many connectors and
you will find  that this can be an extremely valuable feature.

On ebay, they are known  as "aviation connectors," and are available in
three sizes (12mm, 16mm,  and 20mm, according to the diameter of the
bodies, which is also the hole  size for the chassis-mount connectors).
Search for GX12, GX16, and  GX20.  I have standardized on the 16mm
version, but have tried and  can recommend them all.  Shop a little and
you will find them at very  attractive prices.

I've bought lots of them, from US and foreign  suppliers, and as far as I
can tell they all come out of the same factory  in China.  All good quality.

Best  regards,

Charles