[time-nuts] GPScon running on Raspberry Pi 3b

timenut at metachaos.net timenut at metachaos.net
Sun Jun 25 11:08:13 EDT 2017

Mark,

I compiled and ran Lady Heather on my Tinker this morning. This is using the
"stretch" distribution with GCC version 6.3.0 (and of course, the current
version is 7.1.0 with more language changes). I received 8 warning messages,
the first three are a language change and remainder are "misleading
indentation" messages. To get a clean compile, I fixed the spaces and
indentation, but looking at the code it is the type of thing that I would
check to make sure that the control flow is correct - the indentation is
indeed misleading which is always a potential sign of a bug. Here are the
warning messages that I got:

   heather.cpp:13720:10: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]
   heather.cpp:13720:27: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]
   heather.cpp:13720:40: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and string macro [-Wliteral-suffix]
   heather.cpp:10881:26: warning: this ‘else’ clause does not guard... [-Wmisleading-indentation]
   heather.cpp:10883:4: warning: this ‘else’ clause does not guard... [-Wmisleading-indentation]
   heathmsc.cpp:2124:28: warning: this ‘else’ clause does not guard... [-Wmisleading-indentation]
   heathmsc.cpp:6710:24: warning: this ‘else’ clause does not guard... [-Wmisleading-indentation]
   heathgps.cpp:20433:7: warning: this ‘if’ clause does not guard... [-Wmisleading-indentation]

Also, I am waiting for my USB to RS232 adapter, so I don't have anything
plugged into the USB ports (other than keyboard and mouse). When I ran it with
./heather -4u, it first told me that it was unable to open /dev/ttyUSB0 and
then told me it was unable to open /dev/ttyUSB3. This is probably due to the
configuration file containing "-1u", but if that option is given on the
command line then the configuration file value should be ignored - or at the
least it should be tried after the command line option.

Other than the above, it looks great given that nothing is plugged in!

Thanks for the work you do maintaining this program.

Michael