[time-nuts] Optical Cesium or maybe Cesium "light"!

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Mar 18 15:25:28 EDT 2017

--------
In message <2254f8a0-9ea7-e0d3-18d7-90918985c953 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus D
anielson writes:

>The A magnet being replaced by the A laser will for the same flow from
>the cesium oven produce twice as much atoms and thus improve signal to
>noise.

It will generate more than twice the (usable) atoms, becuase the
straight path is (almost) insensitive to their velocity distribution,
whereas the corner-turning at the magnet is not.

Not sure if their "100x" claim holds, but it is not patently impossible.

However, the slide-decks claim that atoms are "reused" is 100% bogus.

>I also expect that the optical detection does not experience the
>same wear mechanisms as the traditional setup. Laser wear is however a
>concern, but easier to handle.

That is probably why they have "two redundant laser modules", a complication
they cannot possibly have accepted if they didn't need it.