[time-nuts] time-nuts equipment verification from scratch (was: WTB: GPSDO)

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 17:41:31 EDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> $3 for an  Arduino chip on a PCB with proto area from China (should have
> bought a lot more when they were available),    $10 for a small ovenized 5V
> TTL output OCXO (also should have bought a lot more),  and $5 for misc
> parts (OK, beer money not included in the BOM).   Batteries not needed,
> powered off USB.

Hi Mark,

Did you use the Arduino's PWM output plus a LPF for the DAC, or a separate
DAC? If PWM, did you have problems with noise or sensitivity to the
USB-provided supply voltage?

Also I have found that not all computer USB ports can supply enough warm-up
current for a 5V OCXO. Or did you use a hefty USB charger and miss out on
the ability to get logging info back over the USB port?

--

--Jim Harman