[time-nuts] Four hour cycle in GPS NMEA jitter

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Mar 20 18:14:20 EDT 2017

Hi

NMEA sentences are not the best thing to use for timing. If you *do* decide to use them, configure the
receiver so that one and only one sentence comes out. Any time you have more than one, you run the risk
of collision in the serial buffer on the part. Next thing to do is to pick the shortest useful sentence you
can find. In some cases you only have one option.

Next up is to be sure that your PC is set up so that there is minimal lag in serial processing. That may not
be as simple as you might think. All modern OS’s head off to do “interesting things” from time to time. The
usual approach is to kill just about anything that *might* create an issue.

Once you have all that, you start pruning the outliers and fitting to the center of the data. Since you don’t have
a super duper clock on your motherboard, you are fitting both the randomness of the clock and the GPS. The
answer is to go slow and look at data over a lot of samples.

The other answer to all this is to use a GPS with a PPS out. Feed that into some sort of capture process and
go from there. The result is likely to improve things by at least a couple orders of magnitude.

Bob