[time-nuts] more of a time distribution question

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 12:37:50 EDT 2017

I've got a bunch (a pack?) of beaglebones that are connected via
ethernet (wired) and I want them to be (roughly) synchronized.

Running NTP (in some flavor) would be the obvious approach, but I'm in
an environment where there's no "outside" connectivity.. Could I make
one of the beaglebones be the NTP server, and the others be the clients?

(I've seen some "add a GPS to a Rpi to make a NTP server" projects, and
I could probably leverage that)

I've also got a laptop (a mac, as it happens).. what's involved in
making *that* be a NTP server (e.g. the Mac might get its time from a
NTP server at some higher stratum, and then it propagates it down).

Pointers to documentation would be appreciated.