[time-nuts] more of a time distribution question

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 19:14:18 EDT 2017

On 3/30/17 1:11 PM, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 09:37:50AM -0700, jimlux wrote:
>> Running NTP (in some flavor) would be the obvious approach, but I'm in an
>> environment where there's no "outside" connectivity.. Could I make one of
>> the beaglebones be the NTP server, and the others be the clients?
>
> 	Disciplining them all to a specific free-running host would
> require the use of the LOCAL reference clock:
>
> 	http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.2/driver1.htm
>
> 	However, the LOCAL refclock is deprecated, and it is recommended
> that you use orphan mode instead, which is its intended replacement:
>
> 	https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/orphan.html
>
> 	http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/OrphanMode
>
> 	Orphan mode is designed for your use case, and allows for more
> redundancy than making them all clients of a single host.  I'd go that
> route.

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Didn't think about googling for
"orphan"  (and really, this is a group of orphans)

>> (I've seen some "add a GPS to a Rpi to make a NTP server" projects, and I
>> could probably leverage that)
>
> 	You could do that, but you don't really have to -- you can keep
> them synchronized at least to each other reasonably well this way.
>
>> I've also got a laptop (a mac, as it happens).. what's involved in making
>> *that* be a NTP server (e.g. the Mac might get its time from a NTP server at
>> some higher stratum, and then it propagates it down).
>
> 	OSX already runs ntpd; you should just need to tweak their
> default configuration.

Yes, I got that figured out, although I need to figure out some network
routing issues now (independent of NTP...), since it was bridging (via
NAT) my pack of beagles to the outside world... I was going "from mac TO
beagle" with ssh, but I've got a problem going "from beagle to mac,
instead of big world"

But that's straightfoward to solve.