[time-nuts] TAPR TICC boxed

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Mar 31 23:22:31 EDT 2017

Attempting sub nanosecond timing with an actual 1Mohm source is an exercise in futility. There are very few cases where one would want to attempt precision timing measurements with such a high impedance source. The 1M pulldown on the TICC input is merely intended to maintain a valid logic input should the user leave that input disconnected. In actual use with PPS signals the source impedance is in most cases a few tens of ohms. If one wishes to have a 1Mohm input impedance for use with AC coupled signals then a low noise FET input buffer preceding the comparator is required.

Protection diodes in this application not only need to have low leakage,  they also need to turn on and off fast enough to be useful.

The propagation delay dispersion (both vs common mode and vs overdrive) also need to be considered along with the comparator jitter.

Bruce