[time-nuts] Fluke 207 VLF receiver info

kc9ieq kc9ieq at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 17:22:23 EDT 2017

Hi Paul, and thanks for the reply!  You might be hearing more from me than you want now, haha.
I'm aware of the wwvb issue, assuming a costas loop or some other mod is very doable in either unit.
Interesting on the manual, I really hate to spend $20 for the digital copy available on eBay before knowing what's up with this one, but sounds like I might not have a choice.  Right now my main question is regarding boards within that sealed off box in the right rear corner-- Only 3 or four of the 7 cards are present, hopefully it's just options this unit doesn't have but I do not know.
The 117a amp.  Iirc, someone jacked it all up and broke one of two of the RF transformers, possibly amongst other things?  Those goofy pentode nuvistors are all shot too.  Been a while since I've looked at it.
Is there any stark difference between these two u units, that you'd say one is just plain better than the other?  I have the active antenna for the 117a, so that's one problem solved if I am able to get that one running.  Naturally those nuvistors are shot too.
Regards,Chris

Sent from my SMRTphone
-------- Original message --------From: paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> Date: 5/8/17  3:56 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: kc9ieq <kc9ieq at yahoo.com>, Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at febo.com> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Fluke 207 VLF receiver info
ChrisI know the 207 well. I have one up and operating just fine.Several items they do not tolerate the new WWVB bpsk signal at all the same for your 117. Though the 117 at least seem to do semi ok. Amazingly, it really should not.I just had to re-cap all the small electrolytics all of them were seriously off and low in value. Thats after many years of service. For me 10 years and since its 1970s technology some place else. The caps really were not a huge cost but a lot of work to change them.The 207 actually is a better receiver then the 117 so its worth it.I also replaced the fried audio amp with a modern chip design and disabled the phase accumulator. It will drive you nuts with the click.
Bad news on the manual though I have one and it really can not be copied. Its whats called a blue line the prints are large and multi page in size. Still smells like ammonia. Its becoming very delicate with age.
On all of my wwvb receivers I use cheatn d-psk-r to get rid of the bpsk and that allows them to work like they used to.
On the 117 whats up with the rf stage? I just had to re-tube and recap mine. Cathode bypass. Wasn't that hard. There is a guy near boston that has really good NOS and at reasonable prices. Not sure if some one hacked your unit or perhaps lightning. But the TRF is rock solid with great gain. HP nice.
Good luckPaulWB8TSL