[time-nuts] TruePosition on an Arduino

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat May 13 21:05:50 EDT 2017

On 5/13/17 5:20 PM, Ben Hall wrote:
> Hi Jim and list,
>
> On 5/13/2017 5:19 PM, Jim Harman wrote:
>> I have done quite a lot of time-related work on the Arduino and here are
>> some suggestions:
>>
>> -- Use the Arduino Leonardo or Micro board rather than the Uno. These use
>> the 32u4 processor rather than the Uno's 328p. The 32u4 has integrated
>> USB
>
> I will look more into this...the Micro is very interesting as being a
> module rather than a board like the Uno, it would be more cost-effective
> to build the Micro into a project versus the Uno.

I'm a huge fan of the Teensy 3.x series from pjrc. They are Arduino IDE
compatible, run a LOT faster, and are available with pins on 0.1"
centers for protoboards or EZ-hooks.  Hardware UARTs, 2 16 bit ADCs with
differential inputs that can sample together, DMA buffered serial (which
is transparent to you, the user.. you just use the serial class..)

> I assume that the USB programming port is also the serial.print output
> port to the serial monitor window?  That seems to be the case, as the
> technical description says:

Yes..

> "Serial: 0 (RX) and 1 (TX). Used to receive (RX) and transmit (TX) TTL
> serial data using theATmega32U4 hardware serial capability. Note that on
> the Leonardo, the Serial class refers to USB (CDC) communication; for
> TTL serial on pins 0 and 1, use the Serial1 class."

Same on the Teensy. There's typically libraries off the shelf for
hardware UART, bit banging UARTs, etc.