[time-nuts] Machining some aluminum help!

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu May 18 17:46:25 EDT 2017

On 5/18/17 1:34 PM, cdelect at juno.com wrote:
> Well that generated a lot of advice and thanks for it!
> I think I might do it myself and go with a 1/2" hole depth and 1/4"
> threaded depth.
> I'll get some of that Aluminum Tap magic, some new taps and new drill
> bits.
> Good idea about drilling the end plates first and drilling thru to match.
> Between the end plate and the tube is a gasket that needs to seal
> pressure and moisture tight. That's why I used 5 per side.

I would make the end plate "real thick",with a machined groove for the
o-ring, and use some sort of latches to hold it in place, rather than
"lots 'o screws".  Unless you've got a real tight space constraint. How
much pressure do you have to hold? That will determine the clamping
force needed on your gasket (and potentially, on your fasteners).  Do
you need the full 4.5x4.5" inside clear space? A 1/4-20 bolt in the
corner might be a good way to go.

There's also inexpensive surplus vacuum equipment around, as well as run
of the mill plumbing. Unless Steel (stainless or not) isn't an option.