[time-nuts] Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Mon Nov 13 12:32:19 EST 2017

I grew up east of the Iowa/Missouri border, so this boundary dispute was well-known ... and occurred at same time Joseph Smith (Mormons) was at Nauvoo, IL (1839-1844).
In 2006, the Iowa-Missouri border was investigated with GPS, as much an archeology project as locating the historic Sullivan & Brown survey markers.
http://www.theamericansurveyor.com/PDF/TheAmericanSurveyor_MO-IABoundaryLineInvestigation_Mar-Apr2006.pdf
Iowa-Missouri Border War (1826-1849)
http://iagenweb.org/history/soi/soi32.htm

NOAA’s : National Geodetic Survey (NGS) made news in 2009 when media reported that the Four Corners monument was in wrong place (by 2.5 miles).
Deseret News
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705299160/Four-Corners-Monument-is-indeed-off-mark.html
NOAA statement and clarification
https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/fourcorners.shtml
==
I’m in France and I don’t think that any borders in Europe were defined by astronomical observation, but in the US I believe that at least some of the state borders were thus fixed. As a second’s error in time will be about a nautical mile in US latitudes, I wonder if anyone has measured with GPS, how good the original surveys were?

Sent from iPad Air