[time-nuts] Allan variance by sine-wave fitting

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Nov 22 11:19:01 EST 2017

Hi

The “risk” with any fitting process is that it can act as a filter. Fitting a single
sine wave “edge” to find a zero is not going to be much of a filter. It will not
impact 1 second ADEV much at all. Fitting every “edge” for the entire second
*will* act as a lowpass filter with a fairly low cutoff frequency. That *will* impact
the ADEV.

Obviously there is a compromise that gets made in a practical measurement.
As the number of samples goes up, your fit gets better. At 80us you appear
to have a pretty good dataset. Working out just what the “filtering” impact
is at shorter tau is not a simple task.

Indeed this conversation has been going on for as long as anybody has been
presenting ADEV papers. I first ran into it in the early 1970’s. It is at the heart
of recent work recommending a specific filtering process be used.

Bob