[time-nuts] In praise of service: PTF

Mark Kahrs mark.kahrs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 11:09:12 EDT 2017

Let me praise the support provided by PTF (www.ptf-llc.com): I obtained a
faulty GPS time clock off ebay to replace the one that was burned by a
lightning strike on the house.

First, the manual is online.  Second, the support emails provided by PTF
(probably by the owner) allowed me to diagnose the problem.  That's what I
call useful and supportive!

Now, for the disparage list...  I obtained a Zyfer GPS box that turned out
to be de-mil'd.   In spite of the manual being online, the Zyfer support
basically refused to help me out in spite of my offer to sign any and all
NDAs if needed.

Meanwhile, since the Zyfer box used a Trimble GPS subsystem, I thought
maybe I could obtain the details from Trimble.  You can guess the rest:
unresponsive.

So, I'd like to salute a company that stands behind their products enough
to answer queries about support.  Even to a guy who is obviously not going
to order 1000 boxes.