[time-nuts] sine to square wave circuits - performance data?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 4 16:51:23 EDT 2017

Hi

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wenzel says an HC device tends to work better than an AC device in squarer applications.

That’s not the case for broadband phase noise or for close in jitter. The issue with the older
AC parts is the crummy lead frame pinout. Setting them up so they did not oscillate was not
as easy as it should have been. More modern single gate packages no long have those issues.

There is always an … except … If you do a “feedback resistor” bias, forget about any sort of
fast gate. Bias it with two resistors on the input and it should be fine. If the second resistor blows
your budget then yes, it’s a issue.

Bob