[time-nuts] sine to square wave circuits - performance data?

Mattia Rizzi mattia.rizzi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 06:26:00 EDT 2017

Hello,

I think that the important point about sine-to-square converter is about
how you measure the phase noise.
If you use such converter, you don't care about the signal noise when the
output is clipped. But phase noise analyzers care about that too.
That's why Linear characterized LTC6957 additive phase noise using the REF
input port of phase noise analyzer. That port is connected to the LO input
of the internal mixer, therefore it cares only rising/falling edges.
And the worst thing is that push-pull CMOS stage are not operated in
high-gain, so no PSRR.

> For cycle-to-cycle jitter what matters is the white noise floor.
  Ie everything above 100Hz-1kHz, as this is the largest contributor
  of "short" tau jitter. This is the component that limits e.g. the
  single shot resolution of time-interval counters.

Not to be pedantic, but time-interval counters are sensitive to something
similar to *period jitter*, i.e. if phi(t) is the random phase fluctuation,
then they are sensible to phi(t+T)-phi(t), where T is the measurement time.
Period jitter has the same definition, but the "T" is the nominal period of
the clock signal. Indeed, the phase noise contribution starts to be
relevant above kHz.

cheers,
Mattia