[time-nuts] I've been thinking about a GPS receiver experiment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 24 20:02:45 EDT 2017

Hi

The “best” approach would be to use a receiver that reports what’s going on to some pretty
good resolution (say picoseconds). You also measure the pps offset (say to picoseconds).
Then you feed *both* numbers into a software loop.

Since you are after a loop with a “many days” sort of response, you have *lots* of time to do the
math. Updates every minute are probably overkill. Since the math can take a long time, the CPU
requirements aren’t very crazy. Equally, you can use a PC and get the job done. OS overhead
likely isn’t going to be a big deal.

You can separate out the math and run it at a pretty high level. Tweaking this or that would all
be done in a high level language. No need for going crazy with assembler The loop is likely to
be a “step and wait” sort of thing. There will be a bit of tweaking. Doing that in something easy
to use *is* an advantage. Having it buried in some mystery firmware written by who knows who
is not a good thing in this case.

Bob