[time-nuts] GPS Antenna Feed Line Decision

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Tue Sep 5 12:59:40 EDT 2017

> Le 5 sept. 2017 à 16:17, Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> a écrit :
>
> Hi
>

>> On Sep 5, 2017, at 6:06 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>>

>> Clay Autery <cautery at montac.com> said:
>>> I will use something better than RG-59 or RG-6 (even if it is only "better"
>>> in my opinion).
>>
>> Crazy thought department.  Can you also run a parallel run of RG-6 and run
>> some tests to see if you can measure the difference?
>
> There is pretty much no experiment you could run that would show a difference
> between the two. With a normal GPS, the “front end” of the radio is in the antenna. The
> filtering and RF amplification there determine a lot of things. The cable is just a
> chunk of wire in the middle of the system.

Agreed.
I tried to see if there was any difference in the signal quality reported by Motorola UT+ and U-Blox Neo 6M (not timing grade but has a good 1PPS) over 30m of 2 different cable types.
I only had RG58(75 Ohm) and RG174(50 Ohm) . I used the signal quality graphics of the respective manufacturers utilities winoncore12 and u-center. There was very little visible difference in the levels and reported resolved positions were as in the same ball park ( I never get exact replication after surveys ).
Neither was there any significant difference in the 1PPS signal. I only have a 2 channel scope so had to measure each seperateley against a standard (PRS10). The receivers 1PPS quantization swamps the difference in the cable delay (which I was able to differentiate when measured separately).
It make sense as the GPS signals are very weak and the receivers are good at getting data out, so just throwing in a bit of extra attenuation and noise doesn’t phase them at all.

I was thinking of doing a test with just a twisted pair….