[time-nuts] R&S XSRM Rubidium Standard

Michael Prescott MSc mike_prescott at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 04:34:13 EDT 2017

I second Clint’s statement, most of the test equipment I’ve brought have worked on switch on. I did buy a R&S CRTU with no LCD display and paid £400 for something which didn’t work I had a lot of deep thoughts. It turns out  CRTU was only nine years old and two months out of calibration, the issue was an LCD back light anyway it still used using a separate display -hence the price.

I often look at the equipment brokers pieces than decide to return to the ‘auction site and take the risk, I’ve only had a couple of issues and I always had my money returned

73’s

Mike G4WYZ

> Experience has shown me that you can reasonably purchase good, working test
> equipment that's well within calibration tolerances if you are buying the
> more 'common' equipment, 6.5 digit meters, frequency counters, even a
> Stanford SR620...
>
> I've been very lucky with those, two spectrum analysers and various other
> bits of test gear I'd never have been able to afford any other way, saving
> thousands over what even tatty examples from equipment brokers would have
> cost.
>
> Yes, you can get bitten and buy a complete POS but you can also take
> sensible precautions and get bargains.
>
> On 14 Sep 2017 18:01, "Scott McGrath" <scmcgrath at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Its an unrealistic expectation that equipment from the well known auction
>> site will work and be 'in-cal'
>>
>> Its realistic to anticipate several the purchase cost to get well priced
>> instruments back 'in-cal'. But hey if i spend 2 k on a sweeper 3 k to fix
>> and cal it and BlahTest is charging 10k for a ready to go unit im Still 5 k
>> ahead of the game
>>
>> Content by Scott
>> Typos by Siri

>> Rubidium
>>> Nigel / David,
>>>
>>> Sorry to hear of your "bargain".   However I doubt very much that the
>> lamp was made by R&S themselves, like with the Racal 9475 unit it was
>> probably sourced either as a module or as parts from someone like Efratom
>> and one of those lamps will be found to fit. I'm not in a position to help
>> much at present (just coming out of Chemo).  My Racal which was in a
>> similar or worse state when I got that, now comes to life when needed.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dan