[time-nuts] Symmetricom S200 Antenna Disgnostic and Replacement Recommendation

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 18 14:17:40 EDT 2017

Hi

There is a surprisingly high range of currents pulled by various GPS antennas. In some
cases the wider the voltage range, the higher the current. Some antennas can pull as much as
150 ma. There are GPSDO’s that trigger over current at 30 ma ….

The “easy” approach is to run the receiver into a DC block and enough of a load resistor
to make the alarm happy. Then run any antenna on the other side fed by a bias tee. The
advantage there is that you don’t have any constraints on the antenna.

Bob