[time-nuts] True Position GPSDP + Rb X72

Stephan Flor spflor at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 21:32:31 EDT 2017

The highest frequency I can generate is 2.5 GHz. My counter can measure 20 GHz, to 1 HZ. At the moment I'm have a frequency locking problem with the extension module in my HP 8660C, so I can't even get to 2.5 GHz, only 110 MHz at the moment. I gust got some extender boards, so I hope to have it fixed soon. The X72 gives me a solid 10.000000 MHz, I would like to see what I get when I use the Rb as a clock for the signal generator, at 2.5 GHz. I guess I only need to verify the calibration with the GPSDO, when I get it, and get it working. Then I can calibrate everything else.
 So, to make a long answer short, I don't think I need the level of accuracy that these devices are capable of. I just have a neurotic need to try and make things as exact as I possibly can. Also, this is just a hobby, and learning experience for me, so I can take my time to work things out.Thank you,Steve

    On Thursday, September 21, 2017 12:09 PM, Chris Caudle <chris at chriscaudle.org> wrote:

 On Wed, September 20, 2017 3:44 pm, Stephan Flo via time-nuts wrote:
> I just wanted a 10 MHz sync for my test equipment that was calibrated.
> May be the GPSDO is all I need.

Even an undisciplined rubidium oscillator is going to be very close to
nominal 10MHz.  You have never stated your desired precision that I have
seen. The X72 manual says that the output should be within 1E-9 in under
10 minutes, and within 5E-11 after 30 minutes.  Does any of the equipment
you use have finer precision than that?

--
Chris Caudle