[time-nuts] True Position GPSDP + Rb X72

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 23 09:38:20 EDT 2017

Hi

If the main use is feeding test gear (and not direct synthesis) an Rb may do pretty well. Most
instruments assume a dirty reference signal and clean it up internally.

1 Hz at 20 GHz is 5x10^-11 most sources you measure up there will not be stable to 1Hz
at a 1 second gate. The Rb will be in this vicinity (frequency wise) second to second. Long
term drift will not be an issue with monthly calibration. It should be ok for temperature in
a constant environment.

Backing off to 1 Hz at 2 GHz takes you down to 5x10^-10. At that point the Rb is “plenty good
enough”. Keep it in a reasonably constant environment, calibrate it once a year and you’re fine.

Bob