[time-nuts] Cheap jitter measurements

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Apr 3 13:47:37 EDT 2018

Time-nuts!

With care I can measure GPS jitter on a RasPi to a bit over 300 nano sec
resolution.  That is the smallest increment of the RasPi 3B clock with
a 64-bit kernel.  That is clearly not time-nuts accuracy.

What would you guys suggest as the cheapest way to see jitter down to
around 1 nano second?

I'm thinking maybe something like a rubidium standard (FE-5680A) and
a TICC-TAPR?  But that would put me out around $400.

The picPET does not look accurate enough.  Maybe a clever way to use it
for more accuracy?  Is there a picPET like thing cheaper than the
TICC-TAPR?

Ideas?

RGDS
GARY