[time-nuts] quartz / liquid nitrogen

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Apr 3 19:51:14 EDT 2018

Hi

If the objective is great phase noise far removed from carrier, there’s a gotcha.

Let’s say you have a 10 dbm source at room and it’s broadband is at KTB of -174 + 1db.
That gives you -183 dbc. You cool your oscillator to whatever and KTB goes down
to -194. You do a bang up job at that temperature and get within a db there was well.
You now have a 10 dbm source with -203 dbc.

Run the super cooled signal through a coax out to the room environment. Pass it through
a 50 ohm gizmo and …. KTB is back at -174. Your source is at -184 dbc. To *use* the
signal, you likely need to cool whatever it’s driving as well.

While one might say …. that pretty weird. Well, similar things do happen. Many an ultra
low phase noise OCXO gets sold, only to find that the “next stage” isn’t as quiet as the
system guys hand hoped. Hmmm …. errrr ….oops !!

Bob