[time-nuts] Weird Stuff WareHouse shutting down

Dave Daniel kc0wjn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:20:35 EDT 2018

Responding to Jim's post ( I can't find his original post), a
significant advantage to owning "vintage" instruments is that, in
general, they may be repaired more easily than later model instruments.
This fact was my guiding principle when setting up my lab, and that was
based on Jim Williams' "There's No Place Like Home" article that appears
as chapter 17 in his book entitled "The Art and Science of Analog
Circuit Design". The more recent the design of the instrument, the more
highly integrate is it's circuitry. In many cases, that integration
manifests itself in the use of VLSI ASICs of one form or another that
cannot be found, and if one is able to find one to replace a failed
component, the techniques and tools required to swap it out are
advanced, perhaps quite advanced. For a corporate enterprise, these
facilities may be /de rigeur/, but for the home lab, they are, for one
or more reasons, not feasible and the home lab owner must ship the
instrument off to some company which can perform the repair or
calibration at significant cost. I can repair a Tektronix 7104
oscilloscope. I'm pretty sure I can't repair a Tektronix TDS7104.

DaveD