[time-nuts] TCVCXO Adjustment

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 06:06:26 EDT 2018

Hi Wayne,

I didn't mean that you should use the PPS signal from a consumer GPS rx
(though you might do that). I was thinking that you'd instead track the
difference between TCXO-maintained time and GPS time over long periods -
weeks or months - and use those to adjust the TCXO.

This would only work if the TCXO was constantly maintaining a clock, which
I'd thought would be the case. If it's in a USB stick that might not be
true and so it wouldn't work as you wouldn't get the long baseline
measurement needed to compare with GPS time.

PCs are a bit of a problem. They may well have the sound chip on USB and
they also have a considerable amount of latency due to buffering in the DAC
and filtering. They're also, somewhat surprisingly, a pain in the neck for
application writing. They might have plenty of development tools, but
you'll find you have to constantly modify it to meet the current operating
system specs, produce Mac, Linux and Windows variants, multiple languages,
etc etc.  Unless you're in that business and can get some of that effort
back through sales, it's a mess.

-adrian