[time-nuts] 1 kg standard (was:Re: Better quartz crystals with single isotope ?)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Apr 22 16:48:28 EDT 2018

A neophyte question about this topic:  Since we know that 0.001
cubic meter of water displaces 1 liter, and that it weighs 1 kg,
and meters are based on wavelengths of light, why
do we need a separate artifact of mass?  Also, can we measure
the mass of the artifact in Paris based on water substitution?

Articles about this topic are always presented as if the answers
are obvious.

Don't they base 0 degree Celsius on the triple point of water?
What's wrong with that?

Rick