[time-nuts] Receiving the MSF time signal on cheap radio modules

Deirdre O'Byrne deirdre.dub at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 15:28:19 EST 2018

That's the next level of error detection. Unfortunately I notice with MSF
and these cheap receivers it can be difficult to determine what the binary
values being transmitted during the second were, which was my motivation
for the analysis I did.

I notice that there is one significant difference between DCF and MSF - the
former does not entirely turn off the carrier during the second, whereas
the latter does. I suspect that is the reason why with MSF receivers it can
so often be difficult to determine what the binary values transmitted were,
as the receiver AGC circuitry possibly has a difficult time keeping up with
drastically changing received power levels, which subsequently give rise to
noise in the received signal.

Splitting the MSF received signal into 100ms chunks, all of the seconds
apart from the start-of-minute marker are of the form 0AB11111. Using "x"
to represent a 100ms chunk whose value could not be determined, I notice
that many of the received seconds were of the form "0AB1x111" or "0AB11x11"
etc - i.e. there was only one 100ms chunk within the second whose value
could not be reliably determined and whose value was non-critical. With a
blame algorithm in place it should be possible to recover these signals.