[time-nuts] Vanguard TCXO

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:49:07 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:51 AM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 2/8/18 5:34 AM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
>
>> What is the phase noise like on the cheap TCXO?Vectron
>>

> VT-702 (the first one in the list online)
> -99 at 10Hz
> -123 at 100Hz
> -143 at 1kHz
>
> going to Mouser and looking for the cheapest 10MHz TCXO
> FOX924 (about $2) - no data
> SiT5000 (about ) - -140 dBc at 1kHz, -150 dBcfrom 10k to 100k, -160 @ 1M (no
> price)
> ECS -TXO-3225-100-TR ($2.71 each) - -135dBc @ 1 kHz
> ASTX-H11 ($3.16) -130dBc @ 1 kHz, -158dBc @100k
>
> FOX922CE at 16.369 MHz, -145 @ 10kHz

Can you provide a link to the "list online"? I went to eBay and searched
for "Vanguard TCXO" and got a list of them with various frequencies. They
all specify -125 dBc/Hz at 1 khz, which is concerning of itself, as phase
noise generally is higher with higher frequency. They are golden however,
so there's that!

Vectron and others make decent TCXOs, better than -135 dBc/Hz at 1 kHz,
which is what I have measured. I believe none of them are what the original
poster is talking about. For a comparison, a Wenzel OCXO I am using for a
reference is in the range of -155 dBc/Hz at 1 kHz.

I am always wary when no or few specifications are provided. If you look at
manufacturer;s like Vectron, they provide lots of data, phase noise at many
frequencies, aging, etc.

73,

Mark
W7MLG