[time-nuts] Allan variance by sine-wave fitting

Ralph Devoe rgdevoe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:52:41 EST 2018

I've been comparing the ADEV produced by the sine-wave fitter (discussed
last November) with that of a counter-based system. See the enclosed plot.
We ran the test in Leo Hollberg's lab at Stanford, using a 5071a Cesium
standard and my own 5065a Rubidium standard. Leo first measured the ADEV
using a Keysight 53230a counter with a 100 second gate time. We then
substituted the fitter for the counter and took 10,000 points at 20 second
intervals. The two systems produce the same ADEV all the way down to the
5x10(-14) level where (presumably) temperature and pressure variations make
the Rb wobble around a bit.

The revised paper has been published online at Rev. Sci. Instr.