[time-nuts] AM vs PM noise of signal sources

donald collie donaldbcollie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 07:02:11 EST 2018

Does any limiter, soft or hard, [and perhaps any nonlinearity  of power
term 3 or greater in the amplifier of an oscillator] cause the "baseband
1/f noise to translate up to the resonator frequency [a form of
crossmodulation]?. I wonder this because
phase noise vs freq plots look a bit like the 1/f plots of a resistor, or
active device, or power supply. Ceramic caps, and resonators [I`m thinking
of quartz crystals] don`t pass much DC, and as I understand it, 1/f noise
is associated with dc passing through resistors, or semiconductors. So the
best way to go might be to have a very linear amplifier, which exhibits
very low noise [perhaps 150dB below the operating level], with an AGC loop,
that sets the operating levela little below the level at which the amp
starts to clip - this could be done with a thermistor to avoid the AGC loop
altering the [optimised] operating conditions of the amp. Alternatively you
might be able to use a tetrode device like a dual gate MOSFET, and apply
the AGC to the second gate. Thus you could keep the extremely linear amp
extremely linear. [150dB below 1Volt RMS is 0.032uV RMS].
ZL4GX

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>