[time-nuts] Antenna Supply voltage

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Mon Jan 8 17:29:20 EST 2018

On 1/8/2018 11:12 PM, Neville Michie wrote:
> I have just scanned through the Thunderbolt manual and found no information
> on the supply of power to the antenna.
> Is there a standard for the supply of power to the antenna?
> Are there 3.3v , 5v and 12v antennae?
> Will any antenna work safely on any GPS receiver?
> It is just a question that I had never thought of before.

I found this sentence :

"The antenna connector center conductor supplies +5 Volts to the antenna so should NOT be used to power the newer 3.3
Volt GPS antennas."

in a document that I saved about the Thunderbolt, written by Brooke Clarke in 2008, whose title is:

"Trimble ThunderBolt Timing GPS Receiver GPSDO"

73  Alberto  I2PHD