[time-nuts] trimble Thunderbolt, how to get 25 or 27 mHz from it??

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 08:56:18 EST 2018

On Jan 19, 2018 6:01 AM, "John Ackermann N8UR" <jra at febo.com> wrote:

> Sorry to hijack the thread, but the Si5351 looks interesting for another
> project I'm working on.  I know it specifies "low jitter" but has anyone
> looked at the phase noise?  Is it usable for RF applications?

Datasheet states jitter in the 40-70 ps range. That is not very good. If
you want something suitable for RF applications, look at the Si5328. It has
jitter on the order of 300fs.

I believe Leo Bodnar uses it in his GPSDOs and I can confirm the phase
noise and Allan Deviation others have found and it is suitable for me for
RF applications. It is not nearly as good as the Thunderbolt though. It
will generate almost any frequency you want.

Mark