[time-nuts] minimalist sine to square

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 20:25:10 EST 2018

Tom,

Hook the 53132A calibrator that I sent you and check one of the calibrator outputs for signal goodness.  It uses the sine-square circuit in the LPRO-101 manual (input cap connected to center of a 39K/39K voltage divider connected to a 74HC gate (74AC gates have some advantages and disadvantages here).    It's the simplest excellent bang-for-the buck squarer (three passives and a single CMOS gate).   You can use single-gate chips.

I'm using the same circuit on the LPFRS/LPRO/OCXO interface board.  I'm also pondering doing a small board with a sine/square wave input,  square wave output, PICDIV, PICPET, and a 10 MHz square to sine filter.

Attached is the xDEV plot of the calibrator (using TAPR-TICC, TADD2-mini, 5071A reference).