[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 2500

brucekareen at aol.com brucekareen at aol.com
Mon Jan 22 13:17:40 EST 2018

Reading the recent discussion about GPS receivers for a Stratum 1 NTP server caused me to reflect on the Symmetricom TimeSource 2500 I have been using for years as a GPS-based frequency reference.  I only turn this on for a couple of days when it is likely I will need it, but am not sure if this intermittent operation really achieves stratum 1 performance.

A disappointment of the 2500's architecture is that it burns an SRI PRS-10 in the background as a backup in case of the loss of GPS.  This seems wasteful to me as the operating life of the PRS-10 units is not unlimited.  I suppose the PRS-10 could be disabled, but this would require some simulation circuitry as the 2500 monitors the PRS-10 and goes into a fault condition if the expected PRS-10 presence is absent.  Certainly others have utilized these units for such  use.  Has anyone performed a detailed evaluation of the 2500 units in intermittent service?

Bruce hunter, KG6OJI