[time-nuts] CSAC Project(was CSAC purchase)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jan 24 17:19:07 EST 2018

Hi

The CSAC spec sheet calls out an aging rate of 0.9 ppb per month as
“typical”. There is also a temperature spec of 0.4 ppb. If both are correct
for your sample (*and* aging is linear ) you would be out by roughly 10 ppb
per year. There also is a voltage stability spec that might be impacted depending
on how you manage power.

Taking the 30 ppb = 1 second number, you are at a 1 second / year rate after 3 years.
At that point, you have already drifted by a second, if the assumptions are correct.
This makes a massive assumption that the aging stays at the “typical” rate
for years. It’s a very good guess that it does not. Is it going to be 1/3 or 1/10
of typical over that period? Who knows.

Bottom line, you are going to be pretty far from 1 second per 100 years with
a CSAC based wrist watch, if it runs for years (or even for months).  It *will*
do *way* better than a TCXO or OCXO based watch over months or years.
It’s still not perfect.

Bob